The festivities are over and it’s now time to tackle the all-important task of storing your Christmas Decorations for another year! Careful storage of your ornaments and lights increases the longevity of these items but also ensures it’s easy to find and unpack them for next year!
1. Plastic storage tubs are an affordable option and readily available from Kmart, Reject Shop and other dollar stores in Goulburn. Ensure you label them.
2. Save absorbent silica gel sachets from new shoes and gifts and tuck in to your ornament boxes to ward off damp.
3. For smaller items, place in egg cartons, paper cups, jewellery- or sock organisers to keep separate and secure.
4. Segmented wine boxes (or DIY with cardboard dividers in shoe boxes) are perfect for placings baubles and delicate ornaments to avoid damage. Line each space with a little tissue paper. If DIY is not an option boxes can be purchased from places like Storage King
5. Wrap larger items individually in layers of tissue paper to protect them and dodge entanglement with other decorations.
6. Fold tinsel and ribbon neatly and stack between layers of tissue. Alternatively you can wrap them around a flat piece of cardboard.
7. Wrap each length of fairy lights around sturdy cardboard to keep tidy and separate. You can also find light storage options at your local hardware store
8. Neatly fold power cords and tuck into cardboard toilet rolls.
9. Group together similar items such as small ribbons or paper ornaments into zip-lock bags to store. Trapping some air in as you zip will pad the bag against crushing.
10. Sort into colours or pack similar decorations together for easy access next time.